Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dedication and Story

This blog is dedicated to Daxton Douglas Kunz.

He was and continues to be my little piece of perfection in this life. His baby blues melted my heart each day I woke up. His smile lit up my eyes and my day was brighter because of him. His cheeks rosy red warmed my soul.

He was born on May 31, 2007 and became and angel in Heaven on June 9, 2008. It was a tragic household accident. He was caught in the blinds. He was taken to the hospital where they worked on him for 45 minutes. They never got a heartbeat. That is all the detail I will say.

My world shattered, came crashing down on me. I honestly thought that I wouldn't ever be able to breathe, let alone live again. I began searching, deep down, in what I truly believed in. I prayed to God that He would give me strength to endure this trial. I buried myself in projects, taking care of daily tasks, and tried to enjoy life again.

At the hospital he was taken, they weren't fully equipped to handle a situation as tragic as this, and they did the best they could. One of the nurses started a "Daxton Box." She donated blankets and stuffed animals to give to families who happen upon such tragic circumstances.

After about 6 months went by, I wanted to do something to help other families. I wanted others to know that they were not alone, that I was a mother who had lost my son, but yet still found the will to live. I worked with the nurse and social workers and came up with a plan.

My brother needed to do an eagle project and we decided together that the Daxton boxes were the perfect thing to do. His Board of Review agreed that this was the best eagle project they had ever seen. And so it began.

We started collecting donations, monetary, stuffed animals, blankets, and cameras. We put in a significant amount of our time and money in completing 100 kits. It was amazing. The outpouring of love and support from our friends, family, and community. I was truly touched beyond anything I can describe.

These kits were delivered on March 23. They were well received and we were glad that we could put together something for the families.

Let me take a moment to tell you what the "Daxton boxes" are just in case you were wondering. In them are a 40 by 40 blanket, a stuffed animal, camera, and a letter from me, a letter from my brother. Items selected are what I wish we would have had in the hospital. I can't really describe it. You only know if you have been there. Which I hope you never ever are.

Each blanket is hemmed and the majority by me with LOTS of LOVE. This blanket is for the baby, to be wrapped in, so that the mom can hold him/her, all snuggled and warm. A stuffed animal is given to the mother so that when she leaves the hospital, her arms are not empty. The camera is used to take pictures. It is disposable so that pictures can be taken. This may seem morbid, but that is why the camera is disposable. It can sit on the shelf, just in case mom wants to develop it and if she doesn't, it is just there to sit. The letters are from my brother and I. They are personal and written for the families. Each of the items are placed in a ziploc baggie and stored for when they need to be used.

Daxton's life was cut short, but I believe that his life was full. It was full of love. It was full of happiness. It was full of joy. He lives on in my heart, in my eyes, in my daily life. I know he isn't too far away. He is my angel.

In creating the Daxton Box, I hope that I can help his memory live on. That I can help others in their time of grief.

Here is to you, my son, my precious little blue eyed son. May your memory live on in our hearts forever. Until we meet again.

4 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful as tears stream down my face. Thank you for sharing your story and your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my heart aches for you.......he is a beautiful little boy...and now he is a beautiful little angel. The last day is so precious isnt it...I lost my little grandson to SIDS and it was heartbreaking....my daughter went totally off the deep end for two years and is finally recovering....I appreciate you doing the boxes...they are needed.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet way to remember your baby! I lost my third little boy 6 years ago to SIDs. He was just two weeks old. We were at a small town hospital that didn't know what to do to help us. I know those families will appreciate the kits, and especially the camera. It's not morbid when it's YOUR baby that you need to remember. :) What a blessing for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We took many pictures as we watched our baby die in our arms, and after he passed. There are some days I can't bare to look at them, and other days that I am glad I have them. His little body had become so puffy, that it didn't look much like who I know he really was. Some days I'm glad I have those pictures of me watching him die so I can remember the strength I had to let him go, and the courage he gave me to pass thru this life... it helps me to endure the trial now.

    ReplyDelete